生物界に学びながら先進的な情報技術を創出しようという動きが、世界的に新
たな潮流になっています。このような動きは、これまでの情報技術をライフサ
イエンスに応用してきたのとは逆の流れであり、情報科学技術分野にブレーク
スルーをもたらす可能性を有しているものとして期待されています。

このような潮流の一つとして、本学情報科学研究科では、文部科学省21世紀
COEプログラムを推進中です。その概要につきましては、次のURLを参照下さい。

http://www-nishio.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/COE/

来たる平成18年1月26日、27日の両日、この「生物界に学ぶ情報技術の
創出」に関する国際ワークショップ The Second International Workshop on
Biologically Inspired Approaches to Advanced Information Technology を
千里ライフサイエンスセンター(http://www1.senri-lc.co.jp/lc-index.html)
で開催致します。奮って論文をご投稿下さいますように心よりお願い申しあげ
ます。投稿締切は、平成17年7月31日です。

| 原 隆浩 (Takahiro HARA), 工学博士               |
| 大阪大学大学院情報科学研究科              |
| マルチメディア工学専攻 助教授                   |
| 〒565-0871 大阪府吹田市山田丘1-5                |
| E-mail: hara [at] ist.osaka-u.ac.jp                  |
| Tel: 06-6879-4511, Fax: 06-6879-4514            |

Bio-ADIT 2006 FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

The Second International Workshop on
Biologically Inspired Approaches to Advanced Information Technology

January 26 - 27, 2006

Senri Life Science Center, Osaka, Japan

Web site: http://www.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/bio-adit2006/

Sponsored by
- The 21st Century Center of Excellence Program of
  The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and
  Technology (MEXT), Japan, under the Program Title
  "Opening Up New Information Technologies for Building
  a Networked Symbiosis Environment"

Biologically inspired approaches have already proved successful in
achieving major breakthroughs in a wide variety of problems in
information technology (IT).  A more recent trend is to explore the
applicability of bio-inspired approaches to the development of
self-organizing, evolving, adaptive and autonomous information
technologies, which will meet the requirements of next-generation
information systems, such as diversity, scalability, robustness, and
resilience.  These new technologies will become a base on which to
build a networked symbiotic environment for pleasant, symbiotic
society of human beings in the 21st century.

Bio-ADIT 2006 follows the success of the first workshop Bio-ADIT 2004
held at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL),
Switzerland in January 2004.  The workshop is intended to provide
an effective forum for original research results in the field of
bio-inspired approaches to advanced information technologies.
It will also serve to foster the connection between biological
paradigms and solutions to building the next-generation information
systems.

SCOPE:
The primary focus of the workshop is on new and original research
results in the areas of information systems inspired by biology. We
invite you to submit papers that present novel, challenging, and
innovative results.  The topics include all aspects of bio-inspired
information technologies in networks, distributed/parallel systems,
hardware (including robotics) and software.  We also encourage you to
submit papers dealing with:
  - Self-organizing, self-repairing, self-replicating and
    self-stabilizing systems
  - Evolving and adapting systems
  - Autonomous and evolutionary software and robotic systems
  - Scalable, robust and resilient systems
  - Complex biosystems
  - Gene, protein and metabolic networks
  - Symbiosis networks
  - Synthetic biology for IT evolution

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS:
Authors are invited to submit complete and original papers.  Papers
submitted should not have been previously published in any forum, nor
be under review for any journal or other conference.  All submitted
papers will be refereed for quality, correctness, originality and
relevance.  All accepted papers will be published in official
proceedings with an ISBN number by a major international publisher,
and be available at the conference.

Manuscripts should include an abstract and be limited to 16 pages in
single spaced and single column format.  Submissions should include
the title, author(s), author's affiliation, e-mail address, fax number
and postal address. In the case of multiple authors, an indication of
which author is responsible for correspondence and preparing the
camera ready paper should also be included.  Electronic submission is
strongly encouraged. Preferred file formats are PDF (.pdf) or
Postscript (.ps).  Visit our Web site at
   http://www.ist.osaka-u.ac.jp/bio-adit2006/
for more information.  Please contact Dr. Masuzawa if you have to submit
hard copies.  Manuscripts should be submitted by July 31, 2005 through
the Bio-ADIT Web site. Please contact the technical program co-chairs
for any questions:

Professor Auke Jan Ijspeert
School of Computer and Communication Sciences
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
Tel:  +41-21-693-2658
Fax:  +41-21-693-3705
E-mail: Auke.Ijspeert [at] epfl.ch

Professor Toshimitsu Masuzawa
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology
Osaka University
1-3 Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531, Japan
Tel: +81-6-6850-6580
Fax: +81-6-6850-6582
E-mail: masuzawa [at] ist.osaka-u.ac.jp

IMPORTANT DATES:
Paper submission deadline : July 31, 2005
Notification of acceptance: October 1, 2005
Camera ready papers due   : October 20, 2005

STUDENT TRAVEL GRANTS:
A limited number of travel grants will be provided for students
attending Bio-ADIT 2006. Details of how to apply for a student travel
grant will be posted on the workshop Web site.

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE:
General Co-Chairs:
   Daniel Mange  (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Shojiro Nishio (Osaka University, Japan)
Technical Program Committee Co-Chairs:
   Auke Jan Ijspeert (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Toshimitsu Masuzawa (Osaka University, Japan)
Special Session Program Chair:
   Hiroshi Shimizu (Osaka University, Japan)
Finance Chair:
   Toru Fujiwara (Osaka University, Japan)
Publicity Co-chairs:
   Christof Teuscher (UCSD, USA)
   Yoshinori Takeuchi (Osaka University, Japan)
Internet Chair:
   Hideki Tode (Osaka University, Japan)
Publications Chair
   Shinji Kusumoto (Osaka University, Japan)
Local Arrangement Chair:
   Tatsuhiro Tsuchiya (Osaka University, Japan)

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE:
Co-Chairs:
   Auke Jan Ijspeert (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Toshimitsu Masuzawa (Osaka University, Japan)
Members (Tentative):
   Luc Berthouze (AIST, Japan)
   Marco Dorigo (Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium)
   Raphael Holzer (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Koh Hosoda (Osaka University, Japan)
   Katsuo Inoue (Osaka University, Japan)
   Laurent Itti (University of Southern California, USA)
   Satoshi Kurihara (Osaka University, Japan)
   Anders Lansner (Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden)
   Vincent Lepetit (EPFL, Switzerland)
   James C. Liao (UCLA, USA)
   Wolfgang Maass (Graz University of Technology, Austria)
   Alberto Montresor (University of Bologna, Italy)
   Masayuki Murata (Osaka University, Japan)
   Mitsuyuki Nakao (Tohoku University, Japan)
   Chrystopher L. Nehaniv (University of Hertfordshire, UK)
   Masahiro Okamoto (Kyushu University, Japan)
   Takao Onoye (Osaka University, Japan)
   Ezequiel Di Paolo (University of Sussex, UK)
   Rolf Pfeifer (University of Zurich, Switzerland)
   Giovanna Di Marzo Serugendo (University of Geneva, Switzerland)
   Hiroshi Shimizu (Osaka University, Japan)
   Gregory Stephanopoulos (MIT, USA)
   Tim Taylor (University of Edinburgh, UK)
   Gianluca Tempesti (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Daniel Thalmann (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Tatsuhiro Tsuchiya (Osaka University, Japan)
   Sethu Vijayakumar (University of Edinburgh, UK)
   Koichi Wada (Nagoya Institute of Technology, Japan)
   Naoki Wakamiya (Osaka University, Japan)
   Hans V. Westerhoff (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
   Masafumi Yamashita (Kyushu University, Japan)
   Xin Yao (University of Birmingham, UK)
   Tom Ziemke (University of Skovde, Sweden)

Bio-ADIT STEERING COMMITTEE:
Chair:
   Hideo Miyahara (Osaka University, Japan)
Members:
   Albert-Laszlo Barabasi (University of Notre Dame, USA)
   Auke Jan Ijspeert (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Daniel Mange  (EPFL, Switzerland)
   Masayuki Murata (Osaka University, Japan)
   Shojiro Nishio (Osaka University, Japan)
   Hiroshi Shimizu (Osaka University, Japan)
   Hans V. Westerhoff (Free University, The Netherlands)