ACM SIGMOD日本支部の皆様
(重複して受け取られた場合はご容赦下さい)

ACM SIGMOD/PODS2005国際会議に併設して開催されます
XQueryに関するワークショップXIME-Pの論文募集のご案内です。
論文投稿締切3月28日です。

日本からも多くのご投稿をいただけますようお願い申し上げます。

筑波大学システム情報工学研究科
北川博之

Second International Workshop on XQuery Implementation,
Experience and Perspectives (XIME-P 2005)
June 16-17, 2005
http://www.ximeco.org/

In cooperation with ACM SIGMOD/PODS Conference 2005

Workshop's goal and interest themes

XQuery getting closer to completing its first standard. This is an
important milestone and it is comparable to the SQL86 standard
milestone in the sense that most of the journey is ahead of us.
As in SQL, it is the application of technology that will shape XQuery.
Research prototypes and products will play a key role in enabling
researchers and practitioners in applying and enriching this technology.
The most significant impact of XQuery will be in the areas that query
languages such as SQL are not effective and a simple translation to
SQL is not adequate. Given that XML documents often contain text as
well as parametric data, deeper integration of IR technology, both
from the viewpoint of functionality and system implementation, is
important. From the viewpoint of content, documents in XML repository
more resemble HTML pages, where an XML repository must handle a huge
variety of document schemas, and accept documents with new schemas.
XML is rapidly becoming the standard for representation of information
that flows in the internet or internets between organizations. XML
repositories need to rapidly adapt with the evolving schema of the
incoming information with no or minimum manual intervention. This view
is drastically different from traditional DBMSs where the schema
evolution of the DB is primarily managed by DBAs.

The purpose of the XIME-P in this workshop is (1) to gather
researchers and practitioners from academia and industry together
leading to a deeper understanding of what the research areas should
be, and what we need to do in creation of research prototypes and
products which will enable critical applications of XQuery,
(2) propose where we go from here regarding the language functionality,
(3) focus on the DBMS architecture alternatives.

XQuery implementation

We believe that discussing, comparing, and envisioning architectures
for XQuery implementation can be extremely useful for the SIGMOD/PODS
community. Thus,  the XIME-P workshop intends to offer a venue for
implementation overview papers, which may be more difficult to publish
in a standard conference, while very valuable in our view. We welcome
system overview contributions from the industry and academia,
characterizing all aspects of the system (storage, query execution model,
query optimization paradigm if any, supported language features etc.)
Disseminating architectural knowledge and open issues will contribute
to building a global view of what is currently being done in the field
of XQuery processing; the progress in language standardization now allows
us to compare the usefulness of various approaches, pinpoint the
technical aspects still unsolved, and envision future (and better)
architectures.

XQuery application and experience

In addition to research papers, there is an emphasis on application and
experience papers. To understand the issues involved in implementing
XQuery, and the purpose of the various language features, early feedback
from existing XQuery implementation would be very useful. Going beyond
simple toy queries, we welcome contributions describing XQuery usage, in
any possible application context. We are interested in exposing the
technical advantage of using XML and XQuery in the considered application,
and in users' experience regarding: language features, volume and nature
of data managed, types of queries used, query processing performance,
integration with the rest of the information system etc.

XQuery perspectives

While many have started implementing or using XQuery, the language's
future is ahead of us. We aim at considering future applications,
innovative and successful architectures, potential performance problems,
and promising avenues for future research. We will discuss the potential
influence of a very complex standard on academic research, typically
focused on narrower and somehow more limited problems; on industrial
implementations, driven by customers' needs, and on open-source efforts.
How to reconcile complexity and ease of use? How to optimize the
implementation of some language features, without hurting the rest? Are
there interesting, commonly-recognized language subsets? Which will be
the "XQuery success stories" in the next 5 years?

Important Dates
Paper submission deadline: March 28, 2005
Notification to authors: May 6, 2005
Final paper version due: May 20, 2005

Workshop co-chairs
Daniela Florescu, Oracle (dana.florescu [at] oracle.com)
Hamid Pirahesh, IBM (pirahesh [at] us.ibm.com)

Program committee:
Sihem Amer Yahia (AT&T Labs Research, USA)
Don Chamberlin (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
Mary F. Fernandez (AT&T, Florham Park, NJ, USA)
Michael Kay (Software AG, Germany)
H. Kitagawa (University of Tsukuba, Japan)
Donald Kossmann (ETH Zürich)
Muralidhar Krishnaprasad (Oracle, USA)
Ioana Manolescu (INRIA Futurs, France)
Fatma Ozan  (IBM Almaden Research Center, USA)
Shankar Pal (Microsoft, USA)
Yannis Papakonstantinou (University of California, San Diego, USA)
Neoklis (Alkis) Polyzotis (University of California, Sant Cruz, USA)
Jay Shanmugasundaram (Cornell, USA)
Till Westmann (BEA, USA)