 正確な予定が確定しておりませんが、取り急ぎ、チューリング賞受賞者
JimGray博士講演会のご案内を申し上げます。

 (正確な時間、講演の部屋や申し込みなどにつきましては改めてご連絡致しま
す)

  喜連川優/東大 生研 情報融合センター

 日時 11月16日 時間は午前の遅い時間か午後早くを調整中です。
  場所 東京大学生産技術研究所
 講演者 Dr. Jim Gray  Microsoft Research
 演題   The Data Avalanche: Reducing Information Overload

 All aspects of society have the blessing and curse of exponentially
 more information.
 At the personal level we are blessed with hundreds of eMails, instant
 messages, pages and mobile telephone calls each day.

 We are always accessible and are always receiving unsolicited input.
 Conversely, it is the death of privacy.  They know where we are and
 what we are doing online.
 At the societal level, every field is drowning in an avalanche of
 scientific advances -- there are exponentially more scientific papers
 and scientific data.

 We deal with this by becoming more and more specialized so that we can
 keep current with the ever-growing knowledge in our shrinking field of
 study.

 We need help in limiting and summarizing and prioritizing the
 information avalanche.
 This talk discusses the problem and the importance of data filtering,
 data analysis, data summarization, and data mining techniques that
 might address this problem and also to mentions some of the broader
 societal issues associated with the information avalanche.