日本データベース学会

dbjapanメーリングリストアーカイブ(2008年)

[dbjapan] TIMERS Workshop Call for Papers

I apologize to anyone who receives multiple copies of this workshop
announcement.  Please distribute this Call for Papers to anyone who
may be interested in participating.  Please note the deadline of
February 1st.  A PDF version of the CFP is available on the website
for anyone who wishes to print a copy for bulletin board display.
Thank you for time.

Sincerely,
Carl Lebsack

TIMERS CFP

Workshop on Tools Infrastructures and Methodologies for the Evaluation
of Research Systems (TIMERS-1) http://csl.ee.iastate.edu/~timers

To be held in conjunction with the IEEE International Symposium on
Performance Analysis of Systems and Software(ISPASS-2008), April 20,
2008 - Austin, Texas, USA

Important Dates

      Paper submission: February 1, 2008
      Author notification: February 29, 2008
      Final version: March 14, 2008

      This workshop focuses on bringing together researchers to
exchange ideas on the measurement of system performance. A system is
loosely defined as a group of interacting mechanisms to accomplish
tasks. This may include conventional system areas including computer
and networking systems but we also encourage submissions in other
areas where performance analysis is tedious, complicated or ambiguous.
We aim to assemble a program that covers a wide variety of techniques
and perspectives in assessing and analyzing performance. The areas of
interest include, but are not limited to:

          o Software instrumentation
          o Static software profiling
          o Runtime software profiling
          o Hardware performance counters
          o Dynamic binary instrumentation
          o Leveraging hardware virtualization technology
          o Architecture analysis using benchmarks
          o Novel uses of available performance analysis tools
          o Measurement frameworks
          o Evaluating performance on heterogeneous platforms
          o Tuning applications to specific architectures
          o Evaluating effectiveness of compiler options
          o Methodologies for choosing tuning parameters
          o Evaluating performance with architecture emulators, and simulators
          o Development of benchmarks
          o Proposing and evaluating performance metrics
          o Measurement methodologies
          o Automating performance analysis
          o Performance of whole systems
          o Identifying performance bottlenecks
          o Comparisons of performance analysis approaches
          o Evaluation of accuracy and precision of measurement techniques

      One area we feel is lacking in the research community is venues
to share ideas in the development and use of tools, frameworks and
measurement methodologies used in research experiments for performance
analysis. Specifically in systems areas, large frameworks are
necessary to conduct research. We are looking for papers that share
the how-to details of constructing these complicated infrastructures
to help generate a public discussion on what available frameworks are
lacking. We hope to provide researchers with common needs the
initiative to collaborate on developing new tools for widespread use.

Submissions

      We request papers to be submitted in PDF form using the IEEE
standard two column format and not exceeding 8 pages in length. Papers
will be reviewed by the committee for quality and relevance.

      Submissions should be made by attaching the PDF document to an
email addressed to timers [at] iastate.edu which should include the
following information for each author:

          o Name
          o Affiliation
          o Address
          o Telephone number
          o Email address

      The author in charge of correspondence should be specified.

Organizer

      Carl Lebsack - Iowa State University

Technical Program Committee

    o J. Morris Chang - Iowa State University
    o Chia-Tien Dan Lo - University of Texas at San Antonio
    o Robin Garner - Australian National University
    o Bashar Gharaibeh - Iowa State University
    o Edward Gehringer - North Carolina State University
    o Richard Hankins - Nokia
    o Matthew Hertz - Canisius College
    o Stephen Hines - Florida State University
    o Swamy Kandadai - IBM
    o Naveen Neelakantam - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
    o Suresh Srinivas - Intel
    o Witawas Srisa-an - University of Nebraska at Lincoln
    o Mingqiu Sun - Intel
    o Dave Turner - Turner SuperComputing