日本データベース学会

dbjapanメーリングリストアーカイブ(2012年)

DBSJ & ACM SIGMODJ & IEICE DE研 & 最先端プログラム講演会 ★8月24日★ Prof. Jaideep Srivastava talks about Computational Social Science

日本データベース学会の皆様、

以下の講演会が8月24日(金)・東大生研にて行われます。
ふるってご参加ください。
                 東京大学生研
                 中野美由紀

 ☆☆☆ 8月24日(金) 講演会のご案内   ☆☆☆

主催 最先端研究開発支援プログラム(FIRST): 超巨大データベース時代に
   向けた最高速データベースエンジンの開発と当該エンジンを核とする
   戦略的社会サービスの実証・評価
後援 日本データベース学会
後援 ACM SIGMOD Japan Chapter
後援 電子情報通信学会 データ工学研究専門委員会

日時 8月24日(金) 午後5時半〜6時半
場所 東京大学生産技術研究所 E棟 5階 会議室B(Ew-502)
      http://www.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp/map/index.html

Speaker : Prof. Jaideep Srivastava (University of Minnesota)
Title: Computational Social Science: Big Data Analytics
    as a Means to Understand Human Behavior

参加費 無料

皆様のご参加をお待ちしております。

                        FIRST : 研究代表者       喜連川 優
                        電子情報通信学会データ工学研究会 委員長
                             中野 美由紀

To: first_lecture [at] tkl.iis.u-tokyo.ac.jp

 講演会 参加申し込み

8月24日(金)の講演会に参加
・名前
・ご所属
プログラム

Speaker : Prof. Jaideep Srivastava (University of Minnesota)
Title: Computational Social Science: Big Data Analytics
   as a Means to Understand Human Behavior

Abstract :
Observation and analysis of a phenomenon at unprecedented levels of
granularity not only furthers our understanding of it, but also
transforms the way it is studied. For instance, invention of
gene-sequencing and computational analysis transformed the life
sciences, creating fields of inquiry such as genomics, proteomics, etc.;
and the Hubble space telescope has furthered the ability of humanity to
look much farther beyond what we could otherwise.
With the mass adoption of the Internet in our daily lives, and the
ability to capture high resolution data on its use, we are at the
threshold of a fundamental shift not only in our understanding of the
social and behavioral sciences (i.e. psychology, sociology, and
economics), but also the ways in which we study them. Massively
Multiplayer Online Games (MMOGs) and Virtual Worlds (VWs) have become
increasingly popular and have communities comprising tens of millions.

They serve as unprecedented tools to theorize and empirically model the
social and behavioral dynamics of individuals, groups, and networks
within large communities.
The preceding observation has led to a number of multi-disciplinary
projects, involving teams of behavioral scientists and computational
scientists, working together to develop novel methods and tools to
explore the current limits of behavioral sciences. This talk consists of
four parts.

First, we describe findings from the Virtual World Exploratorium; a
multi-institutional, multi-disciplinary project which uses data from
commercial MMOGs and VWs to study many fields of social science,
including sociology, social psychology, organization theory, group
dynamics, macro-economics, etc. Results from investigations into various
behavioral sciences will be presented.
Second, we provide a survey of new approaches for behavioral informatics
that are being developed by multi-disciplinary teams, and their
successes. We will also introduce novel tools and techniques that are
being used and/or developed as part of this research.
Third, we will discuss some novel applications that are not yet there,
but are just around the corner, and their associated research issues.
Finally, we present commercial applications of Game Analytics research,
based on our experiences with a startup company that we've created.

--
中野 美由紀	東京大学 生産技術研究所 戦略情報融合国際研究センタ
Miyuki NAKANO	Institute of Industrial Science, Univ. of Tokyo