日本データベース学会

dbjapanメーリングリストアーカイブ(2009年)

[dbjapan] 講演会のお知らせ: Alfred Spector 氏(9月24日)

dbjapan の皆様、

科研特定領域「情報爆発IT基盤」では、Google の Alfred Spector 氏
による講演会を以下の通り開催いたします。
直前のご案内ではございますが、奮って御参加下さい。

--
科研 特定領域「情報爆発IT基盤」事務局
〒101-8430 東京都千代田区一ツ橋2-1-2

■「Research and Innovation at Google」講演会のご案内■

日 時: 9月24日(木)17:00-18:00
場 所: 東京大学 本郷キャンパス工学部新2号館 4階 241号講義室
題 目: 「Research and Innovation at Google」
講演者: Alfred Spector (VP of Research and Special Initiatives)氏
司 会: 喜連川優教授(東京大学)

講演概要:
At its core, Google's mission is to organize the world's information and
make it universally accessible and useful. The breadth of this mission,
coupled with our services based delivery model, provides Google great
opportunities to perform research and to innovate in many areas of
technology. In this presentation, I’ll summarize our approach to
innovation and the results we have achieved in many domains; for
example, translation, speech, and vision. I'll also discuss some of our
focus areas moving forward, and our general approach to research
organization. I’ll conclude by discussing our interactions with the
research world around us, a world with which we desire strong,
mutually beneficial connections.

略歴:
Alfred joined Google in November of 2007 and is responsible for the
research across Google and also a growing collection of special
initiatives - typically projects with high strategic value to the
company, but somewhat outside the mainstream of current products.

Previously, Alfred was Vice President of Strategy and Technology IBM's
Software Business, and prior to that, he was Vice President of
Services and Software Research across IBM. He was also founder and CEO
of Transarc Corporation, a pioneer in distributed transaction
processing and wide area file systems, and was an Associate Professor
of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University, specializing in
highly reliable, highly scalable distributed computing.

Alfred received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stanford and his
A.B. in Applied Mathematics from Harvard. He is a member of the
National Academy of Engineering, a Fellow of the IEEE and ACM, and the
recipient of the 2001 IEEE Computer Society's Tsutomu Kanai Award for
work in scalable architectures and distributed systems.

http://www.google.com/intl/en/corporate/execs.html#spector